A roof is an integral part of any structure, providing protection, insulation, and aesthetic appeal. Over time, wear and tear can compromise its integrity, necessitating a roof replacement. What are the reasons for a new roof, and what are some determining factors to consider if a new roof is needed?
Cost of a New Roof in Vancouver
The average cost of a new asphalt shingle roof in Vancouver is between $4,500 and $18,000. The cost is $450 to $600 per square. This cost depends on a variety of factors including the size of your home, the roofing materials used, and the installation costs of the roofing contractor.
Roofs are measured in “squares”. A 100-square-foot area is considered 1 square in roofing terms. To simplify, the amount of material needed to cover 100 square feet of roof area is equal to 1 square of roofing material. So, as an example, if a roof surface area is 2000 square feet, the contractor would figure 20 squares. You can approximate how many squares your home is by dividing the square feet of your roof area by 100.
Here is a rough estimate of the breakdown:
- 10 square roof: $4,500 to $6,000
- 15 square roof: $6,750 to $9,000
- 20 square roof: $9,000 to $12,000
- 25 square roof: $11,250 to $15,000
- 30 square roof: $13,500 to $18,000
What is the Difference Between Shingles?
There are four types of shingles we install.
- Three-Tab Asphalt Shingles – Three-tab shingles are the most basic and economical option. They are flat with three tabs evenly spaced on each shingle.
- Architectural Asphalt Shingles – Architectural shingles, also known as dimensional or laminate shingles, offer a more visually appealing appearance with a multi-dimensional design. They are thicker and heavier than three-tab shingles and have a longer lifespan.
- Luxury Shingles – Luxury shingles are a premium option that provides enhanced aesthetics and durability. These shingles often mimic the look of natural materials like wood or slate. Luxury shingles are thicker, more durable, and have a longer lifespan than standard asphalt shingles.
When is it time for a new roof?
Here are some key indicators that can help you determine if it’s time for a new roof:
- Loose or missing shingles
- Damaged vents
- An uneven or wavy-looking surface
- Signs of animals inhabiting the attic
- Granules accumulating in the gutter system
- Light seeping through the attic
- Moisture evident on attic walls or ceiling
Benefits of Roof Replacement
Now, how do you determine if a full roof replacement is the best solution for your home? Consider these key factors:
Increased Home Value
A new roof can certainly increase the value of your home. According to 2022 Remodeling Magazine, a new roof can boost your home value by nearly $12,000.
Improve Energy Efficiency
Installing a new roof will seal up any damaged areas, creating a new solid barrier between your home and the elements. At the same time, adding any needed insulation will ensure added protection against the changing temperatures of each season. Many roofing materials are now ENERGY STAR-rated, so make sure to inquire about this when speaking with a trusted roofing contractor.
Selling Your Home?
Are you considering moving in the near future? If so, a new roof will be an exceptional selling benefit. The buyer will notice the sharp, fresh look when approaching the home. A level of comfort is granted knowing that a solid roof will keep the new owners safe and comfortable.
There are times when a repair can extend the life of your roof. However, if the damage is too much, a completely new roof is best. The only way to completely learn how much life is left in your current roof is to have it professionally inspected.
A thorough roof evaluation is the foundation of our consultation process at DL Baker Homes in Vancouver. This allows us to educate our customers about the best options available. We want you to be confident in the process and have a smooth and pleasant experience. We use only the highest quality materials and superior craftsmanship for every job we begin, and we strive for honesty and integrity in all we do. Our reviews and accreditations will give you peace of mind knowing you are working with the best of the best.
No matter the size of the job, DL Baker Homes will work with you. Contact us for a free inspection and let’s discuss the options for a roof replacement.